Antiqology

Monday, June 6, 2011

China, and Silver, and Gold! Oh, my!

Ahh... the weekend has come, and time to see what estate sales are going on. Sundays are our favorite days to go, because people are ready to just get rid of everything that is left. This particular Sunday, we only went to one estate sale, but were pleasantly surprised at all of the treasures that we were able to find!

Driving to the house, I was not expecting much at all, the house was in an OK area, but not one where you would imagine a bunch of beautifully kept items. Upon arriving at the house, I suddenly had a feeling that this was going to be a good pick! My first place I always like to look over first is the kitchen. Since I started my other blog, Cooking Through Lost Recipes, I always like to see if I can find any old recipes lying around, plus a good old Pyrex bowl doesn’t hurt to look for either! This particular home was full of unique finds, well kept, and unlike most estate sales and was NOT full of a hoarders dream – massive piles of junk. Instead, there were silver sets, china sets, quilts and ornate antique items – even a 1930 Boy Scout Uniform still in its original package!

I was in heaven…


The first item was an 80-piece, 1928 Rogers & Bro. Majestic Pattern Silverplate Set with Art Deco Cutlery Box.

When I saw this I fell in love. I felt as if I had literally stumbled upon a treasure chest of silver! There is something so intricate and ornate about silver patterns. The amount of detail that can be carved into one small space is beyond me. For some reason, this pattern reminds me of something that was on a Spanish fleet in the 17th century. There is something very architectural as well as regal in the structure of these pieces, from the crest to the very angular column that leads down the handle, they are defiantly one of a kind pieces.

I was also in awe when I started to think about how these items must have truly been treasures in the Depression Era, when people were living off rations and had little to their name. The idea makes these unique pieces all that more special to me.

In this set there are eight place settings with each of the following: knife, salad fork, dinner fork, teaspoon, tablespoon, iced-tea spoon, oyster fork, and butter knife.

There is also a whole serving set with the following: master butter knife, two serving spoons, serving fork, casserole spoon, ladle, and sugar spoon.

I wish I could only let the woman who once treasured them, know how much I now treasure and value them!

__________________________________________________________

The second item that we were able to find was a 5-Piece, 1835 R. Wallace Anjou Pattern Silver Demitasse Spoons.

The filigree scroll pattern at the end of the spoons had me at first glance – then I turned them over, and saw the antiquity in the stamping on the back and knew they had to go home with me.

The pattern almost has a fleur-de-lis look to it with a garland that cascades down the sides like curled hair strands would fall down a face. They are in stunning condition and like the other silver set they will be treasured, for sure!

__________________________________________________________

The third item was a single Wm Rogers & Son Orange Blossom pattern fork. On the reverse it is stamped, “Pat. Nov. 29, 1910 Wm Rogers & Son AA”.

The detailing in this piece is simple out of this world. I have never seen a fork with the kind of embellishments that this one possesses. The amount of intricacy near the tines of the fork is undoubtedly gorgeous.

There are three orange blossoms delicately splaying the sides all of the way down to the farthest outer tines. The handle of this beautiful piece is also equally worth note, because there are even more orange blossoms adorning the top half.

The only disappointing note with this item is the sheer fact that there was only one!

__________________________________________________________

The final item that we were able to find at this estate was a 22-K Gold Gravy Boat by National Brotherhood of Operative Potters.

The pattern is called Sylvia, which is adorned around the top with 22-K-Gold wheat stalks olive branches surrounded by an art deco-ish circular pattern. The bottom is interesting as well, because it is a asymmetrical square that just adds to the style of this piece, as well as, the fluting at the lower half.

This is probably dated around the 1930s due to the art-deco styling. The amazing thing is that this is in perfect condition as well. More often than not when I find these pieces, they have spider cracks, discoloration spots, nicks and dings – but this one is perfect. Isn’t it hard to believe that a piece that could be 75-100 years old has been cherished and taken care of as well as this! You can be sure that this thanksgiving this gravy boat will be parked on our table right next to the turkey!


1 comment:

  1. I JUST ACQUIRED 4 SERVING PIECES TODAY OF THIS SAME PATTERN! iS IT OF VALUE? IT IS VERY PRETTY AS YOU SAY!

    ReplyDelete