Antiqology

Thursday, June 23, 2011

sweet pea and poppy's - eclectic*reclaimed*treasures


It has been a while since I have been on here, but I have been in Utah for work these past several weeks. Considering there was not a whole lot to do there but go for walks and surf the internet, I managed to come across a few amazing websites!

The first, is called The Foundry, which is a "Groupon-esque" website with AMAZING home decor finds. The treasures they feature are at incredible savings, for a short amount of time. All the items are new, but sometimes you can find pieces that are of reclaimed wood and such. Think that is cool? Well then you haven't seen Etsy's website yet!

Etsy, is a very unique website that is similar to eBay, but 100 times cooler. There are three things that make it better from a buyer & seller's perspective.

1.) eBay charges $0.50 to list an item for 7 days, plus all the added fees makes it really about $1.50-$2.00 to list an item. Makes you feel as if you are checking bags at the airport with all those hidden fees. Then on top of that they charge you a 5% selling fee of the final cost. Now, as far as Etsy goes, they charge $0.20 to list, no other hidden fees, 5 FREE pictures, and only 3% final cost selling fee. That is unreal!

2.) Etsy is a niche market where collectors, artists, designers, and people with specific needs come. There are not a billion clustered items for sale. You cannot buy 1998 tube of chapstick for $1.00, like you can on eBay. Everything has to be either Handmade, or at least 20 years old.

3.) eBay makes you sit there and bid and wait for an item to end. Etsy, only sells things at fixed prices, therefore if you want it, you buy it...No dilly-dallying waiting for the item to come to its end in "eBay-land". When it is on there, it stays there for 4 months, not four days, if it doesn't sell right away!

After all of these great points that Etsy brought to the table. I pumped myself to open up my own "Etsy Store". I have so many random things that I have found, collected, and discovered in my days that I thought it would be fun to share with others, and see if I could make a buck or two off of it! First thing first was to come up with a name. I wanted to something sweet, but with a punch. I thought Recology...but then saw it on a dumptruck a few days later, and thought that is not what I want associated with my little treasures. So it was back to the drawing board....Reclaimed Treasures, nah, to simple...Modern Patina, already a company. Then, I was talking to my dad, whom I always call Poppy, and realized that since he has always called me Sweet Pea, it would be cute to name the store Sweet Pea and Poppy's! Has a sweet country vibe to it, and knew right away that it would be perfect!

Then the hard part came...what to part with and what to keep. What did I want to continue to decorate my house with and what to share with others! I did some picking after I returned from Utah, and found some great additions that I posted in my "Store". I hope you enjoy the findings!


Pair of Bears & Eggplant Olympia Typewriter *** 1950s Airguide Nautical Barometer

1950s Pink Elephant & Scale *** 1950s Dog Coin Bank *** Vintage Painted Brass Candlestick
14" Hand-carved Horse *** 3 French Novels & Replogie Globe*** 24-Piece Heirloom Flatware


You can find all of these except the Airguide & Horse on my shop's website for sale! Here is the link and I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Anna! I love your background colors/design.

    ReplyDelete